What’s so fascinating about data transfer cables? They transfer data from an old computer to a new computer. Yea, exciting, I know. But if you only knew how many people have paid me–Kenny McCormick of Keltic Fish, your local Reno tech guy—hundreds of dollars to do this simple transfer, then you would understand why I find transfer cables a fascinating subject. You should too.
Here’s Why: the 5 Reasons
1. It saves lots o’ cash when you know how to use it yourself.
2. It’s reusable, so it’s a one time expense that you don’t have to pay a professional every time.
3. The cable is faster than manually transferring using USB drives.
4. It’s a direct connection from one computer to another, so it is secure.
5. Easy to follow directions, so if a newbie can transfer data from one computer to another.
This year I was introduced to an amazing product by Plugable that I’d like to share with you. It’s a USB 3.0 transfer cable (available on Amazon at (https://amzn.to/3pEW2x6). This device transfers data from one computer to another easily, accurately, and safely.
Fear Stops People—That’s When My Phone Rings
Many people fear computers for a number of reasons. They don’t know much about the internal workings of the system, and they fear damaging them. When they want their data, they aren’t sure how it’s stored and worry about erasing it. Another reason that people fear working on their own computers is that they think they can’t. It’s that simple. Fear blocks many people from learning and doing their own computer tasks, which is why I’m sharing information with you today. You don’t have to be afraid. Simple tasks, such as transferring data from one computer to another is easy enough to do with the right equipment.
Here’s a few things you need to know:
- The transfer cable will help you transfer documents, music, pictures, and other files.
- Will not transfer installed software packages, you will need the installation software and product codes.
- The cable is compatible with all versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
- You cannot perform transfers on a computer that is not in an operational state (ie safe mode or blue screened); however, that is where I come in! If you need me to call (775) 996-3761.
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
Below I’m going to walk you, yes you, through a step-by-step process, so you too can transfer your own data from an old computer to a new one. And DON’T WORRY—here’s my number in case you get really scared: (775) 996-3761. Yes, you can call me, everyone who knows me does. I’m that kind of tech guy. I will help you.
- Find your old software (Microsoft Office, Solitaire, Doom, etc.)
- Install Easy Computer Sync software (either from disk or from online (https://plugable.com/pages/usb-easy-transfer-cable-software)) on your old computer.
- Make sure you follow the wizard.
- Enter your Product Key, located on the cable. They are Zeros, not the letter “o”.
- Recommend that you restart your computer.
- Repeat the process on your new computer.
- Now plug the Plugable Transfer Cable into both computers.
- On both computers, open the “Easy Computer Sync” software program.
- Click the “Transfer Data to New Computer” option. This will COPY your old data and settings to your new computer and not waste your time moving files from your new to old.
- Follow the wizard.
- Click Exit when it is complete.
- Now the fun part! Double-check the transfer and that your important files transferred.
If you have any questions, feel free to call Keltic Fish at (775) 996-3761 anytime. We are located at 3100 Mill Street, Suite 212 Reno, NV 89502, and opened 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday.